Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Life in the Sandbox 12 Feb 2004

Hey all my peeps,
  Life continues in this infinite sandbox we call home.  All is well. The food is still bad.  What it lacks in quality, they make up for in quantity. They do give us a lot of food.  I went to the air force base yesterday and ate dinner.  I joined the wrong dang service.  Those guys have gooood food!  Oh well. We are still waiting on the main group to get here.  They should be here Sunday sometime.  Once they get here, we can start training.  Ooh-Rah!
  I've taken several trips into Doha and Arifjan.  It's a long drive, but it's better than sitting around here.  We see Bedouins when we go.  Those are nomads, people who travel from place to place. They raise sheep or goats.  They live in tents.  It's weird, the tents will have satellite dishes outside and mostly they drive nice cars.  Usually Chevy suburbans or Mercedes.  Not too shabby.  We also pass a tank graveyard.  During the first gulf war some of you will remember the "highway of death."  All of the tanks and vehicles that were destroyed then are all piled at this "graveyard" not far down the road.  There are thousands of them in there.
  We had a real bad sand storm yesterday.  I was down in Doha, but they said it was so bad here at camp that you couldn't see 100 yards.  I'm glad I missed it.
  Well, not too much else going on.  Keep praying for us over here.  Some of our guys are getting a little down. They don't get to leave base everyday like I do and they don't have anything to do.  I can keep busy because I work with the army supply.  Also, keep praying for Amber.  She is due in a couple of weeks and it doesn't look like I will get to come home for the baby.
   Love all you guys,
    in Christ
        Jon


Note: Our baby daughter, Gabrielle, was born the same day this email was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment