Friday, May 24, 2013

Disabled

I've always prided myself on my wrestling abilities. I have the natural build of a professional wrestler. I'm 5 foot 8ish and weigh 135 pounds soaking wet with boots on.
My wife and I have a king size bed. We need it for my large manly frame. It's not just a bed though. It doubles as a wrestling ring. I wrestle my four kids on it. And I'm ruthless. I'm not one of those dads that lets his kids win. They have to earn a victory.
About two years ago we were embroiled in a tag team championship bout. It was me versus four kids. Easy win....
I had them right where I wanted them. Backs against the ropes you could say. My oldest son had jumped out of the ring and fled the room screaming. My second oldest and most wily of the four was wrapped around one of my legs tickling my foot. I hate being tickled. I was face down on the mat and my daughter was sitting on my head giggling hysterically. I had no idea where my youngest son, the human fly, was.
Then I heard the scream. A scream I'll never forget. It was blood curdling. There was terror, pain and hysteria all at once! My God! What could make such a noise?!
Me.
I did.
I screamed like a little girl.
And I'm not ashamed.
Kobe, my youngest son, climbed to the top rope. From the highest turnbuckle he flew. With all of his 45 monster pounds, he landed on my right shoulder. I heard and felt the pop simultaneously.
The kids new instantly that safety resided in a different part of the house. They bailed on me. Not that they weren't concerned about me. They were. Very much. But I think the slew of curse words coming from my mouth let them know that dad needed some alone time.
As any real man would do, after a time, I got up and shook it off. No blood no foul.
Well, after two years of that shoulder pain never going away, I decided I might need to get a professional opinion.
Turns out I had two major tears in my rotator cuff. Dang it.
Two weeks ago I finally had surgery to repair the shoulder. I had my two week post op checkup today. All is going well. Slow but steady. I'll have my arm in a sling for at least three more weeks. Then I start the long road of rehab.
So what did I learn from this ordeal?
Always know where your opponent is. Watch you back.
There will be a rematch.
I'll send you and invitation.
Peace.
- Posted from Erehwon

Location:Sand Flat, TX

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you train properly for the rematch. And hope you recover quickly from your surgery!

    ReplyDelete